Tuesday, October 18, 2011

LIB 110 intergrated project and bio.

  
Moreen Valerie Narah. Tonny, I was born in Haiti in April 14th 1991. I am the youngest of a family of four children. I moved to the United States few months after the earthquake that devastated my country in January 12th 2010.  I am a native French speaker. I grew up speaking French and Creole, my ancestry’s language. In the Haitian society the languages you speak tell a lot about your education and open you to better opportunities. My first contact with English was at 5 years old, when I first came to the United States. Few years later, I started learning Spanish in school and by traveling to the Dominican Republic.     I lived in Haiti my entire childhood. I was raised in the French educational system. I went to a catholic school The Sisters of Sainte Anne for three years then I left because I felt oppressed there. Then I went to a unisex school named Cours Prives Edme, a private institution, whereby I first understand the real meaning of human rights, and I discovered there my passion for arts and languages.

My project for this book will be something inspired by my personal experience I am orphaned of father, but that never affected me like many children who have been raised by a single mother. Because my mother made the impossible becomes possible to ensure me a brighter future. She is my heroin. Nevertheless one thing about the sad reality of my country that has always intrigued me, was the situation of children living in the streets, being prostituted, abused, those who cannot receive at least a primary education and those dying with diseases that could be cured but because they have not access to health care are not getting any attention.

I have witnessed all forms of violations of human rights in my country. I lived in the capital, where everyone from the country side thinks if they move there, they will have more chance to have a better life. Most of them believe if they give their child to a relative out there this child will have a decent life, which is most of the time 75% false.

 I am a defender of Human Rights, since they are known as the rights we are all equally born with. They are the privileges that every single human being in the world is protected by and entitled to enjoy. Therefore I feel responsible for the rights of those who cannot defend themselves, and do not have the knowledge necessary to express their thoughts and claim their rights.  By that I mean the rights of the children to have access to the minimum standard of life; the right to health, shelter and food, education and social security.  The United Nations states in article 26 of the Universal declaration of Human Rights that everyone have the right to education, but the theme of education is a major issue in Haiti. Language is the base of this issue, whereby 65% of the population is illiterate. Education is transmitted in a foreign language they teach in French when only 1/3 of the population can properly speak it. Therefore the lack of education becomes an obstacle for people over there to claim their rights, based on what is written in the constitution. Their limited knowledge obstructs them to plenty enjoy the rights they are entitled to.

2 comments:

  1. I can see your relation to human rights..I enjoyed reading where you stated that people many people from the country side moved into the capital for a "better" life...however it was false. If they were educated and had an idea of their rights, they may have known that that it was not the best choice. I am glad your mother lived the impossible..many may have looked down upon the fact that she was a woman due to lack of rights. However she did prove the entire society wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Moreen. This is really coming along. You've really been able to focus on language and human rights in Haiti! Good for you.
    I'd love to read more if you've expanded it. Please post it.
    If you have questions, let me know!
    Prof. Jerskey

    ReplyDelete